It’s beautiful here in Central Texas; it feels like the hard freezes may be over.
Two activities begin here when the hard freezes end – spring cleaning and yard work – and I can’t motivate myself to do either without some background music pumping me up. My spring mix is for inside work. Heavy on the funk, if it doesn’t make me get up and dance, at least it will make me get up and dust. My garden mix, for the outside work, is smoother, with lots of Motown and Stax during the day, sprinkled with a little Whispers and Manhattans as the evening sets in. I like it for pacing myself while puttering around, or just sitting out there with a tall drink and taking in the day (or night).
Coming up…Make My Funk the P-Funk: The Spring Mix. I’ve included some of my favorite tracks by George Clinton, Parlaiment/Funkadelic and Bootsy Collins. I also included one track by ‘sons of the P’, Digital Underground; and an updated version of Atomic Dog by George Clinton and several of today’s artists.
Some of these tracks take me back to the summer of 1976. Greg was living in Connecticut, and I would visit with the family every few weeks or so. My future brother-in-law, Pete, who was barely 13, would stay up with me until well past midnight while we waited for Greg to get home from work. Pete was a little Funkateer. Pete, I may have to rip some vinyl; but this one’s for you.
- P. Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up) – Parlaiment – Tear the Roof Off: 1774-1980 [7:43]
- Atomic Dog – George Clinton – Greatest Funkin’ Hits [9:57]
- Give Up The Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker) – Parlaiment – Tear the Roof Off: 1774-1980 [5:58]
- Up For the Down Stroke – Parlaiment – Tear the Roof Off: 1774-1980 [5:10]
- Flash Light – Parlaiment – Tear the Roof Off: 1774-1980 [10:44]
- I’ll Bet You – Funkadelic – Out of Sight [6:11]
- One Nation Under the Groove – Funkadelic – Young Soul Rebels [7:31]
- Cosmic Slop – Funkadelic – Cosmic Slop [5:21]
- Stretchin’ Out (In A Rubber Band) – Bootsy Collins – Stretchin’ Out In Bootsy’s Rubber Band [6:51]
- Same Song – Digital Underground – No Nose Job: The Legend of Digital Underground [6:30]
- Atomic Dog – George Clinton – Greatest Funkin’ Hits [4:21]