Well, I was almost done.
But, we won’t celebrate Valentine’s Day on a Sunday again for another seven (?) years. And Millie just wouldn’t let me rest. Her song, “If You’re Not Back in Love By Monday” has been in my head all night. Is there more fitting a song for a Monday morning after a Sunday V-Day?
So, like a true night shift-er, I’ve been up for awhile keeping myself busy. I’d made a huge pot of chili for dinner, and the family is out cold with ‘the itis’. Law and Order is on TNT; Angel doesn’t air until 5am. It’s just me, with Millie and few others who sing of trying to get back what they once had.
This goes out to all those Cupid Hunters who are back in love this morning. No promos or intros (I didn’t have much time); just the music, with Millie’s , “Good night, everybody” at the end.
- If You’re Not Back In Love By Monday – Millie Jackson – 21 Of The Best 1971-83 (4:52)
- How Could I Let You Get Away – The Spinners – Very Best Of The Spinners (3:51)
- I Kinda Miss You – The Manhattans – Greatest Hits(5:15)
- Since I Lost My Baby [Alternate Version] – Love Songs (2:59)
- Blame It On Love – Smokey Robinson/Deniece Williams – The Solo Anthology (3:37)
- Sorry Doesn’t Always Make It Right – Gladys Knight & The Pips – Love Songs (4:12)
- Oh Girl – The Chi-Lites – Quiet Storm (3:49)
- Ain’t No Sunshine – Bill Withers – Lean On Me: The Best Of Bill Withers (2:03)
- Bring It On Home To Me – Sam Cooke(with Lou Rawls) – The Man and His Music (2:41)
- After The Love Is Gone – Earth, Wind & Fire – All ‘N All (4:25)
- Distant Lover [Live] – Marvin Gaye – The Very Best Of Marvin Gaye (6:18)
- At This Moment – Billy Very & The Beaters – The Best of Billy Very & The Beaters (4:21)
- Starting All Over Again – Mel & Tim – The Soulful Sound of Stax (3:38)
- Here We Go Again – Ray Charles/Norah Jones – Genius Loves Company (3:59)
- Again – Janet Jackson – Number Ones, Disc 2 (3:47)
- Daddy’s Home – Jermaine Jackson – 20th Century Masters – The Jacksons (3:08)
- Crazy – K-Ci and Jojo – X (4:20)
- Loving Arms – Millie Jackson – 21 Of The Best 1971-83 (3:43)
Good night, everybody. I’ve enjoyed hunting with you.
I just couldn’t leave well enough alone. I’ve already posted two Cupid’s Hunt mixes and managed to stay out of mischief. Why not just leave it at that? Well, because while I’m a hopeless romantic, there is still a bit of a devil in me.
When I was a kid, I loved Millie Jackson. Second only to those Jackson boys in the amount of vinyl I spun, Millie was played by me more often than any other female artist. The only hitch was that Millie’s frankness, and cheatin’ and “poor me” songs, really annoyed my mother; especially once I learned the lyrics. But, even she couldn’t stifle a chuckle during the last line of Millie’s The Rap.
So, with tongue-in-cheek, TNS - If Loving You Is Wrong is a collection of songs that got an, “Alright, that’s enough! Play something else!” from my mother. I’ve also included some newer songs: George Michael’s “Careless Whisper” and Justin Timberlake’s “Cry Me A River” (because their videos were just so cold); Shirley Murdock’s “As We Lay”; Luther V’s ”She Saw You” and TLC’s “Creep”.
I want to give a shout out to C. Brown, whose Love Lockdown Mix (for the love hater in you) on Flowlink.com has all but given me permission to speak up for the Cupid hunters who bought Valentine’s Day presents for themselves, and said the presents were from someone else.
- Night Shift Cupid’s Hunt Welcome – JBethune – Promos [0:13]
- If Loving You Is Wrong – Luther Ingram – The Soulful Sounds of Stax [3:33]
- We’re Getting Careless With Our Love – Johnnie Taylor – Chronicle: The 20 Greatest Hits [4:04]
- I’ll Be The Other Woman – The Soul Children – The Soulful Sounds of Stax, Volume 2 [3:37]
- As We Lay – Shirley Murdock – Slow Jams, Volume 2 [5:53]
- The Agony And The Ecstasy – Smokey Robinson – A Quiet Storm [4:50]
- She Saw You – Luther Vandross – Dance With My Father [5:44]
- Creep – TLC – TLC [4:28]
- Cry Me A River – Justin Timberlake – Justified [4:47]
- Doggin’ Around – Jackie Wilson – The Ultimate Jackie Wilson, Disc 1 [2:53]
- Doggin’ Around – Michael Jackson – Music And Me [2:54]
- Careless Whisper – George Michael – Ladies and Gentlemen: The Best of George Michael [5:00]
- Use Me – Bill Withers – Lean On Me: The Best of Bill Withers [3:41]
- The Same Love That Made Me Laugh – Bill Withers – Lean On Me: The Best of Bill Withers [3:21]
- It Hurts So Good – Millie Jackson – 21 Of The Best 1971-83 [3:29]
- When He Touches Me (Nothing Else Matters) – Peaches & Herb – Love Is Strange: The Best of Peaches & Herb – [3:08]
- (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don’t Want To Be Right – Millie Jackson – 21 Of The Best 1971-83 [3:30]
- The Rap – Millie Jackson – Caught Up [5:52]
When I first read about Cupid’s Hunt, I jumped in with the blind enthusiasm of a novice and wrote eight playlists of songs about longing love, lost love, abusive love, and even cheating love. My favorite playlists were I Want You – my very first mix – and First Dance.
We get many ‘first’ dances in our lives. Whether we’re teens, on the crowded floor of a basement blue-light party; or newlyweds, after the floor has been cleared; or parents, when only the music and a dance quiets a fussy newborn; a first dance can be a sweet memory.
When I asked a few friends about their first dances, I heard stories about first dates; parents’ anniversaries; proms, weddings and receptions; and late-night baby dances. I included the favorite songs from those dances in this mix, along with some of my favorites: Soul Generation’s “That’s The Way It’s Got To Be (Body and Soul)”, my first dance with a young man in blue at a basement blue-light party; Earth, Wind & Fire’s “I’ll Write A Song” and Sade’s “By Your Side”, first dances with my newborn daughters; and Natalie Cole’s “Unforgettable”, a song my son, Robert, and I had to use to learn the box step for a debutante ball.
The two most important of all my favorite first dance songs are also included, and they are the reason I’ve been working to get this mix out before Wednesday. On February 10, 1979, as Greg and I were married as my sister-in-law sang Smokey Robinson’s “Wedding Song”; and we danced our first dance to LTD’s “We Both Deserve Each Other’s Love”.
So, with our 31st anniversary just days away, I dedicate this mix to Gregory T. Bethune, Sr., who has made every dance since feel like our first one.
Playlist – Title – Artist – Album [Time]
- With You – Tony Terry – Tony Terry [5:06]
- Night Shift Cupid’s Hunt Welcome – JBethune – Promos [0:13]
- At Last – Etta James – Her Best [3:00]
- Even If My Heard Would Break – Aaron Neville, Kenny G – The Bodyguard [4:58]
- Walkin’ in the Sun – Rufus – Rags To Rufus [3:01]
- Cupid’s Hunt All The Right Places – TGrundy – Promos Cupid’s Hunt 2010 [0:07]
- The Lady In My Life – Michael Jackson – Thriller [5:00]
- You Put A Move On My Heart – Tamia/Quincy Jones – Ultimate Collection [6:13]
- A Smile Like Yours – Natalie Cole – A Smile Like Yours [4:23]
- Unforgettable (Duet with Nat King Cole) – Natalie Cole – Unforgettable: With Love [3:31]
- This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) – Natalie Cole – The Natalie Cole Collection [2:51]
- Cupid’s Hunt Best Music – TGrundy – Promos Cupid’s Hunt 2010 [0:08]
- I’m Yours – El Debarge/Quincy Jones – Ultimate Collection [4:16]
- I’ll Write A Song For You – Earth, Wind & Fire – All ‘N All [5:24]
- My Reason To Be Is You – Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Jr. – Wedding Songs [4:41]
- That’s The Way It’s Got To Be (Body and Soul) – Soul Generation – Beyond Body and Soul [3:08]
- I’d Still Say Yes – Klymaxx – Wedding Songs [4:41]
- By Your Side – Sade – Lover’s Rock [4:35]
- Cupid’s Hunt Romantic Moments – TGrundy – Promo – Cupid’s Hunt 2010 [0:19]
- Here And Now – Luther Vandross – [5:22]
- We Both Deserve Each Other’s Love – Jeffrey Osborne – Ultimate Collection [3:07]
- Wedding Song – Smokey Robinson – A Quiet Storm [3:35]
I’d like to send a shout out to an old and dear friend, Todd Grundy, of RIBS: Rhythms in Black Satin for the promo drops. Be sure to check RIBS out, along with other members of the Music Podcast Consortium. Visit their site on Facebook and become a fan!
If you missed any past posts or mixes, feel free to visit The Archives. If there are any problems with the links, mixes or pages; if you have found another cool music blog; or if you have a music request, please drop me a comment or an email.
When I ’dipped my toes’ in this year’s Cupid’s Hunt Podcast Collaboration Event, I had in mind one list of tracks to post on Facebook or MySpace. Each song on the list had a theme; be it first love, great love, love gone wrong, “I want you” or wedding jams (Greg and I married four days before Valentines Day). The list grew, split and became several lists…all while I was learning the basics of blogging; podcasting; soft-and hardware and whatever else had come down the pike since I bought (and never used) dj software back in the days of Windows 98.
My first mix is some of my favorite songs that say “I want you”, smooth and cool. Screaming and shouting might wake us up; but it’s smooth and cool that keeps us awake on the night shift.
Playlist - Song – Artist – Album [time]
- That the Way It’s Got To Be (Body and Soul) – The Soul Generation – Beyond Body and Soul [3:08]
- I Want You – Marvin Gaye – The Very Best of Marvin Gaye [3:57]
- Make Me Want You – Curt Jones - 360 Degrees [5:29]
- Let’s Get It On – Marvin Gaye – The Very Best of Marvin Gaye [4:53]
- Sexual Healing – Marvin Gaye – Slow Jams [4:10]
- Give It To Me – The Whispers - Greatest Slow Jams [5:24]
- Lady – The Whispers – Greatest Slow Jams [5:07]
- Hey Girl (I Like Your Style) – The Temptations – Love Songs [3:29]
- Reasons - Earth, Wind & Fire – That’s The Way Of The World [4:58]
- Love Won’t Let Me Wait – Major Harris – My Way [5:34]
- Turn Your Lights Down Low – Lauren Hill and Bob Marley – The Ultimate Mp3 Zone [4:02]
- A Little Bit More – Freddie Jackson/Melba Moore – Body and Soul: Duets [4:55]
- Practice What You Preach – Barry White - The Icon Is Love [5:58]